Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Wonky Stars: top completed


When I started my quilting journey a few months ago and began searching the internet for accessible quilting tips and ideas, one of the first blocks that jumped out at my was the wonky star. As a first-time quilter, I was drawn to the idea that the finished stars weren't supposed to line up (for obvious reasons) -  so I scored some Heirloom (by Joel Dewberry) fabric on sale at The Little Fabric Shop (along with the background blue The City Quilter) and got to work.


I don't have a fancy design wall , but thanks to some painter's tape and an almost empty wall in my NYC apartment, I was able to hang my blocks as I completed them to make sure I had enough variety in my star shapes (I was about 40% finished at when I took this photo).


And after lots of cutting and piecing, I finished enough blocks to make a top for a comfy lap quilt.


I love all the bright colors in this top (I'm obviously just a kid at heart), and I can't wait until it is finished. I've decided to take a crack at quilting it myself (yikes!) so I'll pots photos as soon as I'm finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment