Friday, August 2, 2013

Kitchen Drying Mat

Kitchen Drying Mat: Mitten to Apple original

As I've lamented before, space is at a premium in my little NYC apartment. So when I was visiting my family recently, and spotted their dish drying mat, I thought it would be the perfect solution for my urban kitchen.


In an effort to make (rather than buy) this little addition to my kitchen, I headed to my stash and got to work. I started with an old dish towel, which I sliced in half to make two layers of terry cloth. Then I pieced a fun little top with Joann Fabric leftover from another project, before adding a few simple lines of quilting to the mat.

Kitchen Drying Mat: Mitten to Apple original

And after I added a quick, machine-stitched binding, my mat was finished.


So far, I'm loving this little creation! I'm especially please, as not only was I able to fashion something using only materials from my stash/home (that miraculously coordinated pretty well)...

Kitchen Drying Mat: Mitten to Apple original

But my new drying mat is efficient, effective, and puts a smile on my face every time I use it!

I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish it Up Friday - thanks for stopping by!!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea. I'm going to have to copy it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and that fabric is perfect for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I have made a couple of bathmats using nice fabric, terrycloth and thick batting. Quilting - or quilting methods - are very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, fun project! not at all 'dry'! :)

    ReplyDelete