Friday, August 16, 2013

Right Angles

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original


I finally finished my first HST project, which I'm calling Right Angles.

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original

I've always loved the look of quilts made with random HSTs, so this was my first attempt at that.

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original


I don't know about you, but making something 'random' is really hard- I just want there to be a pattern! Since I couldn't fight every natural instinct, there's a little order to the HSTs, but I think overall it looks fairly chaotic.


The quilting is basic - just 1/4" off the seams.


The HSTs are DS Quilt Collections from Joann's, and the batik (framing and backing) are from a quilt shop.

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original

I love backing quilts with batik - that fabric is so forgiving of spills and stains! I have no problem plopping a batik-backed quilt on the ground for that very reason!

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original

I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish It Up Friday - thanks for stopping by!

Right Angles: Mitten to Apple original

7 comments:

  1. Your lap quilt is beautiful...the quilting looks great! Love the colors...go Tigers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! But, hey! Those beautiful colors say, Go Gators! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your random navy HSTs seem so perfectly random! Ha! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love HSTs and you did a great job creating a unique design. Can't go wrong with DS quilt fabric either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Random is so easy and so hard at the same time. Looking for patterns is definitely instinctual. It's great that you chose such a practical backing, as far as being able to get it a little dirty without worrying about it, yet it's still so pretty. Great job all around.

    ReplyDelete