Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sewing Machine Cover

The other day, I made a sewing machine cover.

Sewing Machine Cover - Mitten to Apple original

Admittedly, the photo above shows the cover on my machine, but the cover was actually a surprise gift to my mom who lives halfway across the country- she's an amazing crafter and has been sewing beautiful purses recently. I thought a machine cover might come in handy for the times when she wasn't using her machine, but didn't want to put it completely away.


For this project, I wanted to try the "tube" piecing technique (the one where you sew strips into a tube, and then slice them up), so that's where the cover began. I still have a long way to go until the method will be fool-proof for me, but it was good to at least try it once (especially because someday I want to make a scrappy Trip Around the World quilt)!


I added elastic bands to the sides of the cover to keep it on the machine. I'd seen versions of this cover online that used ties, but I thought elastic would be a little easier to slip on and off my mom's machine.
 

I used home decor fabric from Joann's on this project, so it is fairly sturdy. I also used my trusty quilting guide bar to quilt on the diagonal.


No comments:

Post a Comment